Bruschetta is one of those rare appetizers that’s loved by all and easy to whip up in a flash. This recipe is best with tomatoes fresh off the vine.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 3 slices (3/4 inch thick) crusty Italian bread
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil , divided
- 1 clove garlic , halved
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup basil leaves , chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese (optional)
Preheat barbecue to medium heat (about 350°F); grease grill. Brush both sides of bread with 2 tbsp of the oil. Place on grill; cook, flipping once, until toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer to cutting board; rub with cut sides of garlic. Cut bread in half.
Meanwhile, in bowl, toss together tomatoes, basil, vinegar, salt, pepper and remaining 3 tbsp oil.
Top bread with ricotta (if using) and tomato mixture.
Makes 6 pieces.
Recipe from The Canadian Living Test Kitchen | Canadian Living Magazine: September 2018