The U.S.G.S. is reporting a large earthquake that just hit in Japan. It was first reported as a 7.1, but was quickly downgraded to 7.0.
The U.S. Geological Survey reports the quake was centered:
- 1.0 km (0.6 mi) WSW of Kumamoto-shi, Japan
- 12.0 km (7.5 mi) NNE of Uto, Japan
- 13.0 km (8.1 mi) SSE of Ueki, Japan
- 15.0 km (9.3 mi) NNE of Matsubase, Japan
- 631.0 km (392.1 mi) SSE of Seoul, South Korea
The Northwest Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says there is currently no Tsunami threat to Hawaii.
“Based on all available data, a destructive Pacific-wide tsunami is not expected and there is no tsunami threat to Hawaii,” the agency reports.