In celebration of March 1, St David’s Day, a celebration of Welsh culture in Wales and around the world, why not fry up a batch of these tasty Welsh cakes to have with you tea (yes we said fry up some cakes, trust us, they are delicious!).
1 lb flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 oz margarine
4 oz vegetable shortening
4 oz currants
6 oz sugar
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp milk
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Cut in the margarine and vegetable shortening.
3. Add the currants, sugar and garam masala and mix.
4. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg and milk together.
5. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and beat until it’s a firm paste.
6. Roll dough onto a floured board to 1/4″ thickness and cut into rounds.
7. Cook on a greased griddle for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
8. Let cool on racks before serving.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Yield: 30-40 cookies
Recipes by the Haggis and the Herring, originally posted here.